Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Birdsong

 
The second episode of the BBC's adaptation of Sebastian Faulks' Birdsong, was no less violent or sad than the first. But it was, if anything, more powerful.

I've been a library-rat for years; reading obscure philosophical texts: thinking, writing, wondering. As a result the world is slightly less mysterious to me now than when I was fifteen years-old. But browsing through my old journals, I was struck sometime ago to see a convergence emerging in my thinking.

The thesis of the film, Birdsong, was uttered by Jack, the miner.

"All that matters is to love and be loved."

I once thought that I might be content if I could only better understand the world. I've since discovered that understanding the machinery of this world alone, is at best, secondary. I don't just want to observe and theorize about how the building blocks of the world are setup, I want to have a vested interest in how they're stacked. I now believe that it's love that converts the curious spectator of life into a full-fledged participant.

"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love." Leo Tolstoy

Birdsong is available gratis for viewing on the PBS website for a limited time. It's among the best films that I've seen.


4 comments:

  1. I don't know Birdsong, but the title and the war theme got me thinking -wrongly- it was something to do with John Buxton, the WWII POW ornithologist.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Michael, that's the most important thing in life, Love and be loved. Sometime I forget this.
    73, Bert

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Dominic,
    I just came away from reading about John Buxton. He had quite an interesting life. Tnx OM.

    73/72,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Bert,
    It's nice to hear from you. Yes, there are so many distractions that we must constantly remind ourselves to discern the signal from the noise.

    Kind regards,
    Mike

    ReplyDelete